Ask an Expert
How can I prevent the cold from spreading?
The common cold virus is spread by:
- Breathing in droplets of fluid containing the virus, such as when someone sick sneezes or coughs without covering their mouth.
- Touching something handled by a sick person and then touching your mouth, nose or eyes. In general, a cold virus on an indoor surface is infectious for 24 hours.
Some tips to prevent a cold virus from spreading:
- Limit contact with someone that has a cold.
- Wash your hands frequently, and make sure your child and anyone around them do the same. Some common cold viruses are still infectious on hands after an hour.
- Sneeze and cough into tissues, and discard them immediately and wash your hands after.
- Do not share cups, cutlery, and so on.
- Use paper towels to dry your hands and face instead of shared towels.
- Clean surfaces regularly. It may also be a good idea to clean your child’s toys regularly, especially after a play date.